Wednesday, June 01, 2005

No more video scaling

In the last few months from time to time I thought about the best aspect ratio and resolution for a video playback device (formerly called TV). On the new stylish widescreen displays (16:9) standard 4:3 content is less than perfect and vice versa. Same with resolutions. A 1280*720 display is great for 720p content, but SD and even HD1080 content has to be scaled again. So what to do, and more to the point: what type of new "TV" should I buy? And which up/downscaling technology? I think I will use no scaling at all and will use a projection device to just display the native pixels of the source material. So if I have a 720*576 picture I won't use any upconverting or scaling technology to use it with a 1280*720, 1366*768, 1400*1050 or 1920*1080 projection device. I will just send the native pixels with the necessary black borders to the screen and use the optical zoom of the projector to get the picture at the right size. Next week I will start some testing...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home