Monday, September 19, 2005

AddressBook instead of Hypercard?

AddressBook I even thought about using AddressBook instead of Hypercard, as I use it mostly for my more than 9000 addresses. I enter them in Hypercard, i look them up, and mostly I export them, namely to NewtonOS2, PalmDesktop and AddressBook, as well as to various special formats for mobile phones. I guess since MacOS X 10.4 Tiger and Spotlight, AddressBook finally is fast enough to use it on a daily basis, and exporting to Palm and various mobile phones is already built in, or I could export data manually via AppleScript. The only problem is, that I would still need a development environment to do custom applications, mostly on MacOS X, but more and more for mobile phones, too, especially for PalmOS, PocketPC, Symbian60/UIQ, Linux (Nokia770!) and eventually J2ME.

So what should I do? What I would really like would be either a cross platform Hypercard, similar to the prototypes of Hypercard 3.0, that I saw years ago or SK8. SK8 was a research project at the Apple Advanced Technology Group. Basically it was Hypercard on steroids, written entirely in CommonLISP. Maybe it would be the best to grab the sources of SK8, and build a new object oriented, LISP based Hypercard, running on every decent mobile OS...

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home